Saturday, August 16, 2008

More carry over from MM(Depression and Anxiety)

National Depression and Anxiety week. How ironic for me. I have been suffering from this affliction off and on all my life. I took myself off meds years ago thinking that I was 'cured'. But in high stress situations I just can't cope and recently the depression and anxiety came with a vengeance. I didn't recognize it at first. By the time I realized what was going on I wasn't doing too well. I had a major move and some family issues going on right smack in the middle of my 'crisis'. It's been tough. I wasn't sure I would be able to go on. I felt like there was absolutely nothing to be happy about which if anyone that knows me knows that isn't how I normally am. I didn't want to see or talk to anyone. Didn't want to go out. I was either sleeping all day or couldn't sleep. I started coping by self medicating with prescription narcotics *warning: not the best recipe for depression! As a result I ended up even farther down in the hole. I didn't care about anything. I went to the Dr and was prescribed some meds - we made the move - still suffering and was getting worse. Finally I insisted on getting some structured help in addition to the meds. That was 3 weeks ago and I am thrilled to report that I am much, much better today. Life is worth living again. The sun is shining again. It is a One Day at a Time deal though. I have to be good to myself and remember each day that I am a good human being and worth taking care of. I look for the positive each day and mentally make a gratitude list. I am extremely thankful that I was able to get help. Depression and anxiety disorder is something that is in a person's genes - just like the color of my eyes. I had no control over having it but I can take care of myself and keep it under control. Please, if you have ever thought that people that suffer with any type of mental illness are a lost cause or not worth helping or even that they can 'help' it - it is no different than having diabetes. We can't help it and it is a disease. Show a little compassion, give a little smile and a word of encouragement. You never know what a difference you could make. Have a fabulous May. ~ XO

No comments: