Monday, January 5, 2009

Houses, Painting and Shopping - OH MY

Lately, I have to keep pinching myself to make sure it's not a dream. We closed on our new house Dec 24th (Merry Christmas to us) and since then we took a vacation to beautiful Lake Tahoe, had the inside of the house painted, ordered all the blinds, bought new furniture, washer/dryer & TV. Whew! After working so hard last year Dave was rewarded with a nice bonus which is what made all this shopping possible. He has been so good to me in understanding how easily stressed I get with this moving business so he's made it as easy as possible for me. We are having the house packed up a week from today then moving the following day. Then I'm having a cleaning service come in to do the apartment. I am truly blessed. At times I feel a little uncomfortable with all this - like I don't deserve it. Dave, however, does deserve it so then I put it to rest. Oh, what the hell, maybe I deserve it after all. It was a rough year for me last year.
On a funny note - before we had the house painted (we couldn't live with the stark white walls) Dave deferred to me to choose the paint. Well, I learned a HUGE lesson: don't choose paint without seeing it on the wall first! I chose 'sunlit sand' - beigey yellow. It was painted while we were on vacation so we finally got to see the house last Tues. Can you say YELLOW????? It turned out much brighter yellow then I expected but, I'm working with it cuz I think when we're done with furniture and decor it will look great. And it is not all yellow - we left a lot of the white too. The blinds are white and the couch is plum. I'm trying for a Tuscany-ish decor. I can't wait to get everything together and take pictures. For now here are some of our furniture. The dining room set sans the bench. The coffee table and the sofa (in plum). We have a few more pieces but no pictures yet.
Luckily we will be all set up with the new TV to watch the inauguration. Big time celebration!









2 comments:

Alicia said...

Your taste is so similar to mine, Linda. I LOVE the stuff you picked. And the yellow will work. Trust me. I had a very sunny yellow kitchen at my last house, and once all the furniture and wall art was up, it looked absolutely awesome. If you have some red accents, it looks REALLY good against the yellow, as will the plum.

I'm so excited for you. You DO deserve all of this. I can't wait to see pics of the finished product.

Sara said...

I suck at decorating. I know what I like, but putting stuff together? No way. I like what you picked out though, although I agree, yellow is far from my favorite color.

Congrats and can't wait to see it all put together.