Wednesday, September 10, 2008

My brand new car has a boo-boo

There I was driving in a parking lot looking for a spot and then I felt a small bump - I wasn't even sure what it was - I thought I ran over something and then I looked in my rear view mirror and saw someone backing out. I stopped and got out and sure enough the BMW hit my right rear fender! I looked over at the driver and said 'dude, you hit my car' - turns out it was an older lady. Poor thing - she was so sorry and visibly upset. I ended up consoling her. 'It was an accident' I say, 'don't worry it will be fine, that's what insurance is for.' I was only a little upset because I was going to be late for my marriage counseling appt but that didn't matter anyway since Dave was running late. So we exchanged our info and then she asked me if I would be willing to not turn it in to my insurance if she pays for the damage! 'Well, I don't know, I'll have to speak to my husband' but I have to admit that took me aback a little bit. Maybe she has a record of doing this? I called my agent today and will get my car taken care of. The insurance companies can work it out. Funny thing - she never called me today like she said she would. Hmmmmm.

So now when they put on the new fender/bumper (because it's all one piece) I'll have them put on my new license plates too! Isn't that sad?

2 comments:

Destiny said...

Oh No!!!11 That is so sad. Glad it was not worse and you were not hurt.

When you said she asked not to turn it in, I flashed to all the cases I have seen on People's Court just like that. I was screaming (in my mind lol) DON'T agree to that !!!! That kind of agreement never seems to work out right for the innocent victim.

Hope your car is back to new real soon.

Alicia said...

What a bummer! I can't imagine the look at that woman's face when you said, "Dude, you hit my car." I wonder if being called "dude" shocked her more than the fender bender.

I've learned going through the insurance companies is best. You want to try to help out the other guy, but it just seems to bite you in the butt in the end. Good luck.